posted Mar 20, 2011, 9:10 AM by Sheri Edwards
updated Mar 20, 2011, 9:29 AM
How to help?
Everyone is wondering how to help those devastated by the disasters affecting Japan. It's important to know to whom you are donating so your help is truly received by the people of Japan. Therefore, here are two resources, one on how to choose authentic organizations, and one on a list of possible organizations.
How do I know the organization is authentic?
Here are some tips to finding reliable relief organizations:Tips for Giving For JapanFind a Charity You Can TrustTips to Avoid Earthquake Phishing Scams
- Never trust messages or links from Facebook or Twitter; scammers abound there
- Google the name, email, website, or phone number to look for scams and hoaxes
- Legitimate sites such as the Red Cross or Disaster Donate never ask for your personal numbers (ss, phone, PIN, etc.)
- Pay attention to the address bar in your browser; a the text of the link can say anything, but once there, check the actual URL - -is it valid, spelled correctly?
- If redirected to a third-party site, it's probably a scam
- Don't accept unsolicited email; they are usually scams; go directly to a valid organization's site, not through an email link
What are some possible relief organizations?
Here are links to NBCs gathered resources: Japan Earthquake: How to Help